Badminton BC and Badminton Canada is currently monitoring the issue of the Coronavirus and its potential spread in Canada. Currently there has been NO health warning in Canada issued by Health Canada around the virus.
However, we recognize that this is a growing concern among our community and we would like to be proactive around this matter to ensure that everyone feels safe at our upcoming tournaments. The following are suggestions of preventive measures one may take during this time.
FOR ATHLETES WHO WILL BE TRAVELLING:
- Keep your hands clean. Frequent washing and use of hand sanitizer is recommended.
- Use sanitizer wipes on the surfaces around your seat when flying, especially the seat tray and arm rests.
- Do not share water bottles, drinks or cutlery
- Consider wearing a mask while travelling
- If you start to suffer from flu symptoms, please contact your doctor immediately.
FOR ATHLETES ATTENDING UPCOMING SANCTIONED EVENTS:
- The tournament hosts and Badminton BC will be working in tandem to secure masks for those who would like them (ex. in the case of the upcoming BC Junior Elite tournament)
- There will be ample hand santizer
- Please do not share water bottles, drinks or cutlery
- If a player is done their matches for the day, please consider returning home or going back to their hotel
We would like to emphasize that we are just taking advanced precautions towards this matter. To put things into perspective, there are still BWF events scheduled in China in February that are still being run as planned. Please follow the suggestions above and we will notify everyone should the matter escalate.