Canada Winter Games
TEAM BC - 2019 Canada Winter Games | Red Deer | AB
2019 Canada Winter Games TSN Individual Event Finals Replay
2019 Team BC Final Report | Written by Phyllis Chan
2019 Canada Winter Games Team Selection Critieria
Full Qualifier Event Calendar
Oct 12-14th, 2018 - Event #1
Nov 16-18, 2018 - Event #2
Dec 14-16, 2018 - Event #3
Qualifier Event Registration Link
BC Canada Winter Games Program Explanation
BC Canada Winter Games Athlete Agreement
Provincial Team Selection Policy
2019 Canada Winter Games Technical Package
TEAM BC - 2015 Canada Winter Games | Prince George | BC
Kylie Cheng, Jodi Fei, James Ho, Alex Lin, Joshua Liu
Allan Ng, Qingzi Ouyang, Alexa Wu, Duncan Yao, Samantha Zheng
Abdul Shaikh (Coach)
Phyllis Chan (Manager)
Harmony Ky (Women's Alternate)
Jack Lin (Men's Alternate)
TEAM BC - 2011 Canada Winter Games | Halifax | NS
Team BC for the 2011 Canada Winter Games was chosen by the High Performance Committee, based on a series of trials starting in August 2010, and concluding in December 2010. The Coach and Manager were recruited through an application process and individual recruitment in 2010.
Team BC was made up of the following:
Phyllis Chan (Team Captain)
Clinton Wong (Male Captain)
Abdul Shailkh – Coach
Lisa Davison – Manager
Team BC was also supported by former VP – High Performance Chris Trenholme who served as member of the Team BC Mission Staff assigned to Badminton at the Games in week two. The role of Team BC Mission Staff is to serve as liaison between the team and the overall Team BC and host society operation, ensuring as smooth experience as possible (i.e. transportation, accommodations, food, medical services, etc.). The goal of the mission staff is to insulate the coach, manager and team to allow them to focus on what is most important—practice, rest, recovery, and performance.
This team was a unique mix of some top national level athletes like Phyllis Chan, but also contained many younger players with very promising futures, like Christin Tsai, Nathan Choi, Clinton Wong, Eric Hsu, and even younger players like Duncan Yao, Benny Lin, and Vanora Lo. Many of these players are eligible to compete for Team BC at the 2015 Canada Winter Games. I predict, based on their performances, that BC can look forward to winning more medals in 2015.
There were many performance highlights from these Games, including the following:
• Silver Medal in the Team Event, defeating Alberta and Quebec along the way, and narrowly losing to Ontario in the final three matches to two.
• Gold Medal in Mixed Doubles, won by Christin Tsai and Nathan Choi
• Silver Medal in Women’s Singles, won by Phyllis Chan
• Bronze Medal in Women’s Singles, won by Christin Tsai
• Fourth Place in Mixed Doubles for Phyllis Chan and Eric Hsu
• Quarterfinal results for Benny Lin and Clinton Wong in Men’s Singles
• Quarterfinal results for Vanora Lo and Vivian Yan in Women’s Doubles
• Quarterfinal results for Duncan Yao and Benny Lin in Men’s Doubles
On a personal note, there were many outstanding examples of team leadership, camaraderie, and Team BC cheer, led by Team Captain Phyllis Chan and Male Captain Clinton Wong, but exemplified by the entire team.
Some interesting human interest highlights include the following:
• My first try at eating lobster at the team dinner at a restaurant in Halifax
• Almost losing my way back from the restaurant in Halifax
• Vanora’s BC Flag Cape and cheering battle with a New Brunswick fan in the team event
• The different team cheers—including pre-team tie, after a match, and during a match once we got to 21 points
• Lisa Davison’s leadership and care for the team
• Team BC rocking the house with its horns, noise makers, sunglasses, and clappers
TEAM BC - 2007 Canada Winter Games | Whitehorse | YK
At the Team BC first week pep rally, Flagbearer Alvin Lau (Vancouver) predicted badminton would win the team gold (not achieved by BC since the 1971 Canada Winter Games) and today, he delivered. In the crucial 5th and deciding match, Lau and fellow teammate and flagbearer Tobias Ng (Vancouver) defeated Quebec 21-11, 21-16.
"This feels awesome," said Lau after the match. "I could jump off a cliff right now and fly!"
View Team Results
Team BC's Badminton team took the first medals of the Canada Winter Games and did they ever do it in style! In Mixed Doubles, the badminton team took all three medals. Toby Ng and Melody Liang defeated Alvin Lau and Charmagne Yeung for Gold and Silver respectively and Timothy Ma and Phyllis Chan defeated Alberta (Justin Mullaly and Caroline Chee) to take the Bronze medal. Great job guys! Photos at the CWG
View the Individual Results