BC Winter Games
The BC Winter are British Columbia’s biennial celebration of sport and community. Since 1978, the BC Games have taken place in 38 communities and involved over 350,000 participants and volunteers and thousands more as spectators and supporters.
The purpose of the BC Games is “To provide an opportunity for the development of athletes, coaches, and officials in preparation for higher levels of competition in a multi-sport event which promotes interest and participation in sport and sporting activities, individual achievement and community development.”
The BC Winter Games are a milestone event that people count as an experience of a lifetime where memories, friendships, spirit, and pride are abundant.
2024 BC Winter Games LHTAKO QUESNEL
Badminton BC is calling for coaches who are interested in coaching and leading a zone team for the 2024 BC Winter Games in Lhtako Quesnel, from February 22 - 25, 2024.
The BC Winter Games is held once every two years and is British Columbia’s celebration of sport and community. The purpose of the BC Games is “To provide an opportunity for the development of athletes, coaches, and officials in preparation for higher levels of competition in a multi-sport event which promotes interest and participation in sport and sporting activities, individual achievement and community development.”
The BC Games bring together British Columbia’s emerging high performance athletes, trained coaches, and certified officials for three days of competition. This experience is an important development opportunity and stepping stone towards higher level sport competitions.
Coaches play a critical role in the success of their athletes. The Zone Head Coach and Assistant Coach will work with athletes to prepare the Zone team in achieving the best possible performance at the BC Winter Games. Badminton BC also views the coach position as a key step for coaches interested in accessing higher levels of coach development. The assistant coach position provides an extraordinary mentorship opportunity for coach development.
- Current BBC Coach Membership
- NCCP Provincial (Trained)
- Current BBC Coach Membership
- NCCP Regional (Certified)
- Criminal Record Check
- Current BBC Recreational Membership
- CAC Safe Sport
Coaches & Adult Supervisors must reside in the zones they represent.
There will be 2 coaches for each listed zone, including a Head Coach and an Assistant Coach. These two coaches must include one male coach and one female coach.
*Note* If you do not meet the certification requirements but would like to take on one of the coach team roles, contact Badminton BC at email@example.com.
Prior to the Games
- Head Coaches are the leaders of the zone team
- Head Coaches are a zone team’s main contact for the BC Games Society once registration is complete and in particular at the Games.
- Run a zone trial asap (with the support of Badminton BC) and clearly communicate selection criteria to all eligible zone athletes in the selection process (this will vary from zone to zone).
- Identifying 8 athletes of 4 boys and 4 girls per team to represent their zone at the BC Winter Games and identifying an additional 1 boy and 1 girl to be the spares.
- Conducting training camps or sessions as determined feasible by the coaching staff and budget restrictions
- Work with Badminton BC to ensure all timelines are met in preparation for the games
- Head Coaches work with their Zone Representative and/or PSO to ensure all registration, travel details, etc. are completed and received for each athlete.
- Travel with the team on Games transportation
- Assistant Coaches provide:
- support to their team’s Head Coach in training and Games preparations
- support to their team’s athletes in preparation for the competition at the Games
At the Games
- Stay with the team in a supervisory capacity in Games accommodation
- Coach and manage the team throughout the duration of the Games
- Attend any coaches meeting or events as required
Fees & Expenses:
This is a volunteer position, however all expenses related to transportation, meals and accommodation to the Games are covered in your coaching role.
BC Games - Zone Map:
Thank you and Good Luck to our Badminton Coaching Team for the BC Winter Games!
- Dara Prameshwarie, Zone 4 (Fraser River), Head Coach
- Angus Li, Zone 5 (Vancouver - Coastal), Head Coach
- Rishav Sharma, Zone 8 (Cariboo - North East), Head Coach