Greater Vernon will host the 31st BC Winter Games February 24-27 2022, with 2,000 athletes, coaches, managers, and officials.
Open to players born in 2008 or 2009.
Registration and trials are coming soon, stay tune for more details.
Currently we are Calling for Coaches......
Badminton BC is calling for coaches who are interested in coaching and leading a zone team for the 2022 BC Winter Games in Vernon from February 24th – 27th, 2022.
The BC Winter Games is held once every two years and is British Columbia’s celebration of sport and community. The purpose of the BC Games is “To provide an opportunity for the development of athletes, coaches, and officials in preparation for higher levels of competition in a multi-sport event which promotes interest and participation in sport and sporting activities, individual achievement and community development.”
The BC Games bring together British Columbia’s emerging high performance athletes, trained coaches, and certified officials for three days of competition. This experience is an important development opportunity and stepping stone towards higher level sport competitions.
There will be 2 coaches for each listed zone, including a Head Coach and an Assistant Coach. These two coaches must include one male coach and one female coach. Total number of coaches will be 16.
Zone 1: Kootenays
Zone 2: Thompson-Okanagan
Zone 3: Fraser Valley
Zone 4: Fraser River
Zone 5: Vancouver Coastal
Zone 6: Vancouver Island-Central Coast
Zone 7: North West
Zone 8: Cariboo-North East
What Zone Am I In? – Interactive Zone Map
- Coaches & adult supervisors must reside in the zones they represent. If there are no assistant coaches available, an adult of the opposite sex of the coach can apply and take on the adult supervisor role as long as they have completed the Making Ethical Decisions module by February 1st, 2022.
- Coaches will be working with athletes that are in the U15 age group (born in 2008 or 2009).
- The venue for Badminton is Kalamalka Secondary School, 7900 McClounie Rd, Coldstream, BC (Vernon, BC)
Head Coach: Trained, “Competition Introduction – Provincial” and completed the NCCP Making Ethicial Decision; completed the MED online evaluation; hold a current BBC Coach Membership; will need to complete and submit a current criminal record check.
Assistant Coach: Certified, “Competition Introduction – Regional” and completed the NCCP Making Ethicial Decision; completed the MED online evaluation; hold a current BBC Coach Membership; will need to complete and submit a current criminal record check.
Adult Supervisor: Must take the designated Safe Sport Training; hold a current BBC Recreational Membership; will need to complete and submit a current criminal record check
*Note* If you do not meet the certification requirements but would like to take on one of the coaches roles, contact Badminton BC at firstname.lastname@example.org. Badminton BC wants to work with and help all coaches reach the certification requirements. For Coaches selected to participate in BCWG2022, some subsidy for courses/workshops will be provided by Badminton BC to offset the cost of attaining the required certifications for BCWG.
BC WINTER GAMES - ZONE COACH ROLE DESCRIPTION
ROLE OF THE ZONE COACH:
Coaches play a critical role in the success of their athletes. Athletes who take part in the BC Winter Games will be using it as a stepping stone for higher levels of competition. The Zone Head Coach and Assistant Coach will work with athletes to prepare the Zone team in achieving the best possible performance at the BC Winter Games. Badminton BC also views the coach position as a key step for coaches interested in accessing higher levels of coach development. The assistant coach position provides an extraordinary mentorship opportunity for coach development.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Prior to the Games
- Run a zone trial (with the support of Badminton BC) and clearly communicate selection criteria to all eligible zone athletes in the selection process (this will vary from zone to zone). The trials will be completed by November 26, 2021.
- Identifying 8 athletes of 4 boys and 4 girls per team to represent their zone at the BC Winter Games and identifying an additional 1 boy and 1 girl to be the spares.
- Conducting training camps or sessions as determined feasible by the coaching staff and budget restrictions
- Work with Badminton BC to ensure all timelines are met in preparation for the games
- Travel with the team on Games transportation
At the Games
- Stay with the team in a supervisory capacity in Games accommodation
- Coach and manage the team throughout the duration of the Games
- Attend any coaches meeting or events as required
- This is a volunteer position, however all expenses related to transportation, meals and accommodation to the Games are covered in your coaching role.
- Complete the following online form for your Application by/before July 2,2021 https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfiw8r3_iwqXiEqNsfD_0zJnSRM5sy3aFY1v8ScluLFhBJSvw/viewform?usp=sf_link
- Check to see that you have the appropriate Badminton BC membership as outlined. If not, please purchase/renew your membership here.
If you have any questions on the above, please contact: email@example.com.
MATT VARDY | TECHNICAL PROGRAMS | BADMINTON BC