Coach Accreditation & Eligibility
I want to be a badminton coach in BC – what do I do?
Step 1: Get a Badminton BC Coach Membership, get a Locker Account (coach.ca), and decide on Competitive or Non-Competitive Coaching stream (which determines the course pathway you will need) (Non-Competitive will complete the ShuttleTime Coach pathway).
Step 2: Obtain Certification for your desired Pathway (ShuttleTime, Competition Introduction – Regional, Competition Introduction – Provincial, Competition Development).
- Your completed courses will show on your profile in The Locker.
Step 3*: Ongoing Professional Development after receiving certification (Training Courses + Active Coaching Time)
Step 4: Submit the following documentation to BBC (email@example.com) to be placed in your Coach Portfolio Folder:
- Headshot Photo
- Criminal Record Check (less than 3 years old)
- Code of Conduct Signoff <LINK>
- Make Ethical Decisions (MED) <LINK>
I want coach access to the field of play at competitive events – what do I do?
Step 1: Become a Certified Badminton Coach (as per above, by completing the requisite pathway for the event type you desire to access) and obtain the eligibility requirements specific to each event type. See list enclosed and in appendix and on BBC website.
- This applies to all coaches that may be coaching, or assisting a head coach, at a Junior A, Junior B, U23 and/or Senior Open series and/or provincial championship competitions.
Step 2: Apply for your BBC Accreditation & Coach Badge online <LINK>
- Badges are ordered annually each summer (and again in January, if necessary)
- Remember to renew accreditation annually to receive updated badge for new seasons
Step 3: Submit the following documentation to BBC (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be placed in your Coach Portfolio Folder:
Accreditation & Eligibility
Coach accreditation progression is something that happens throughout the year, with a push made each summer when next season badges are being ordered. Accreditation relates to the overall compliance of the coach with the various BBC eligibility requirements for various categories of coaching events. To be allowed access to the field of play, coaches must demonstrate compliance with the following certification requirements.
- A clearer version of this chart can be accessed <LINK>
REMINDERS | ENSURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING:
- BC Coach Accreditation and Eligibility applies to all coaches wanting access to field of play (courts) in all series events and provincial championships. If you are not certain where you fit in, please complete the form and we will advise you
- Junior A, Junior B, U23 and Open Rankings and Seeding <LINK>
- Badminton Canada General Competitions Regulations <LINK>
(includes Coaching and Uniform policies)
Badminton BC Coach Badges
BBC Badges are an on-court physical sign to officials that a coach is accredited with BBC. They are ordered once per year in August, just after the start of each new season. They are for all coaches that may be coaching, or assisting a head coach, at a Junior A, Junior B, U23 and/or SeniorOpen series and/or provincial championship competitions. Badminton BC Referees and Umpires will be ensuring only those coaches with accreditation badges access the field of play.
BBC Coach Accreditation Badges are:
- Recognition of professional standards
- Recognition of a commitment to the professionalization of coaching and the Responsible Coaching Movement and Badminton Canada's Safe Sport Initiatives
- A benefit of membership
- Access to the field of play (courts) to coach players